Sea Buckthorn Berry Muffin Recipe
These travel-sized snacks freeze well, so make some extras to tuck into a lunchbox to combat midday hunger pangs. Yield: 12 muffins.
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sea buckthorn berries, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place parchment liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Mix together flours, flaxseed, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add sea buckthorn berries, and mix to coat. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg, butter, and milk. Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cups in prepared muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Optional Dietary Substitutions:
- To make flax gel to substitute for 1 egg, combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then use as directed in the recipe.
- Replace the milk with almond or cashew milk.
- Margarine (either dairy or nondairy) may be used instead of the butter.
- A gluten-free flour blend can be substituted cup-for-cup for the unbleached and whole-wheat flours.
Note: Because sea buckthorn berries are used whole in this recipe, be prepared for a few crunchy seeds. You can use 3 tablespoons berry juice instead, if you wish to avoid the seeds. (See juice recipe, below.) Alternatively, use 1/4 cup dried berries in place of the fresh or frozen ones.
Sea Buckthorn Berry Juice: To make juice from fresh sea buckthorn berries, place 2 cups of berries in a bowl with 1-1/2 cups of water. Set up a fine mesh sieve over a separate bowl, and carefully pour the mixture through. Gently “pulp” the berries against the sieve using the back of a spoon. Allow the mixture to strain for several hours, or until you have just over 2 cups of juice.
Find Out More:
- Cooking With Sea Buckthorn Berries
- Sea Buckthorn Berry Cashew Power Balls
- Sea Buckthorn Berry, Apple, and Mint Drink
- Quinoa Salad with Sea Buckthorn Berry Dressing
- Sea Buckthorn Berry and Mango Salsa Recipe
Sheryl Normandeau is a Master Gardener and writer from Calgary, Alberta. She grows mostly vegetables, but also plants perennial flowers, and always has a few projects in the works. Read more about her pursuits at Flowery Prose.
Recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey Tetrazzini
There are a lot of leftovers the day after Thanksgiving. Check out the Lemon Verbena Lady’s favorite recipe for turkey leftovers.
Thanksgiving Spices and Seasonings
Learn how to get the full flavor of holiday baking without investing in 10 new jars of herbs or spices.
Pumpkin and Apple Tart Recipe
Make a pumpkin and apple tart recipe to enjoy this Fall.