Sea Buckthorn Berry Muffin Recipe
These travel-sized snacks freeze well, so make some extras to tuck into a lunchbox to combat midday hunger pangs. Yield: 12 muffins.
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sea buckthorn berries, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place parchment liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Mix together flours, flaxseed, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add sea buckthorn berries, and mix to coat. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg, butter, and milk. Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cups in prepared muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Optional Dietary Substitutions:
- To make flax gel to substitute for 1 egg, combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes, then use as directed in the recipe.
- Replace the milk with almond or cashew milk.
- Margarine (either dairy or nondairy) may be used instead of the butter.
- A gluten-free flour blend can be substituted cup-for-cup for the unbleached and whole-wheat flours.
Note: Because sea buckthorn berries are used whole in this recipe, be prepared for a few crunchy seeds. You can use 3 tablespoons berry juice instead, if you wish to avoid the seeds. (See juice recipe, below.) Alternatively, use 1/4 cup dried berries in place of the fresh or frozen ones.
Sea Buckthorn Berry Juice: To make juice from fresh sea buckthorn berries, place 2 cups of berries in a bowl with 1-1/2 cups of water. Set up a fine mesh sieve over a separate bowl, and carefully pour the mixture through. Gently “pulp” the berries against the sieve using the back of a spoon. Allow the mixture to strain for several hours, or until you have just over 2 cups of juice.
Find Out More:
- Cooking With Sea Buckthorn Berries
- Sea Buckthorn Berry Cashew Power Balls
- Sea Buckthorn Berry, Apple, and Mint Drink
- Quinoa Salad with Sea Buckthorn Berry Dressing
- Sea Buckthorn Berry and Mango Salsa Recipe
Sheryl Normandeau is a Master Gardener and writer from Calgary, Alberta. She grows mostly vegetables, but also plants perennial flowers, and always has a few projects in the works. Read more about her pursuits at Flowery Prose.
Natural Caramel Apple Recipe
This scrumptious, all-natural caramel apple recipe gives you a healthy Halloween option your taste buds will love.
Stay hydrated this season with refreshing summer drinks.
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.