Quinoa Salad with Sea Buckthorn Berry Dressing Recipe
This pretty and delicious cold salad is ideal for a picnic or potluck.
Yield: About 3 cups.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels, cooled
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sea buckthorn berry juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine quinoa, corn, beans, tomato, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sea buckthorn berry juice, oil, and honey. Add to quinoa mixture, and stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with fresh chives, chopped (if desired).
Substitutions: Amaranth, bulgur, couscous, or freekeh can be used in place of the quinoa.
Optional Additions: Green onions, toasted sesame seeds, raw sunflower seeds, dried cranberries.
Note: To make juice from fresh sea buckthorn berries, place 2 cups of berries in a bowl with 1-1/2 cups of water. Set up a fine mesh sieve over a separate bowl, and carefully pour the mixture through. Gently “pulp” the berries against the sieve using the back of a spoon. Allow the mixture to strain for several hours, or until you have just over 2 cups of juice.
Find Out More:
- Sea Buckthorn Berry Muffins
- Sea Buckthorn Berry Cashew Power Balls
- Sea Buckthorn Berry, Apple, and Mint Drink
- Sea Buckthorn Berry and Mango Salsa Recipe
- Cooking With Sea Buckthorn Berries
Sheryl Normandeau is a Master Gardener and writer from Calgary, Alberta. She grows mostly vegetables, but also plants perennial flowers, and always has a few projects in the works. Read more about her pursuits at Flowery Prose.
Recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey Tetrazzini
There are a lot of leftovers the day after Thanksgiving. Check out the Lemon Verbena Lady’s favorite recipe for turkey leftovers.
Thanksgiving Spices and Seasonings
Learn how to get the full flavor of holiday baking without investing in 10 new jars of herbs or spices.
Pumpkin and Apple Tart Recipe
Make a pumpkin and apple tart recipe to enjoy this Fall.