- 8 slices thick-cut whole-wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Cut the bread slices lengthwise into 4 equal pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium to medium-low.
- One at a time, dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, coating well. (Only dip as many pieces of bread into the mixture as you are cooking at one time.)
- Lay the soaked bread pieces in the skillet. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes, until browned; turn over and cook the other side until browned.
- Divide the syrup evenly in small dipping cups. Serve with the French toast sticks.
More from 201 Organic Baby And Toddler Meals:
Excerpted from 201 Organic Baby And Toddler Meals: The Healthiest Toddler and Baby Food Recipes You Can Make! by Tamika L. Gardner Copyright © 2014 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photos by Jennifer Yandle Photography. Cover design and photography by Erin Dawson.
201 Organic Baby And Toddler Meals (Adams Media, 2014) by Tamika L Gardner has over 200 recipes for tasty and nutritious baby and toddler meals. These delicious meals are easy on your child’s tummy, the environment, and your schedule! These french toast sticks are easy for toddlers to grasp.
Toddlers love this cute twist on traditional French toast because they can “dunk” them in real maple syrup. You can also use fruit preserves instead if you like. For best results, purchase a whole, unsliced loaf of whole-wheat bread and cut thick slices.