201 Organic Baby And Toddler Meals (Adams Media, 2014) by Tamika L Gardner has over 200 recipes for tasty and nutritious baby and toddler meals. These delicious meals are easy on your child's tummy, the environment, and your schedule! This recipe for collard mash gives your baby a good serving of green vegetables.
This is a childhood recipe that my grandmother used to make when I was a toddler. We used the cornbread to soak up all the juice from the collards, also known as “pot liqueur.” I still love collards mashed with cornbread, and now my children love it too. Boost the protein by adding diced chicken to the mash.
- 4 heaping cups chopped
- collard greens, washed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Savory Cornbread Pancake
- Combine all the ingredients except the cornbread pancake in a large pot and cook over medium heat until the collards are tender and bright green, about 20–25 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup cooked collards to a small bowl. Use your fingers to mash the cornbread pancake into the collards until combined. Fluff with a fork. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftover collards for up to 3 days.
More from 201 Organic Baby And Toddler Meals:
Excerpted from 201 Organic Baby And Toddler Meals: The Healthiest Toddler and Baby Food Recipes You Can Make! by Tamika L. Gardner Copyright © 2014 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photos by Jennifer Yandle Photography. Cover design and photography by Erin Dawson.