Photo from Adobe Stock/Denis Tabler
The thing I love most about this recipe is its simplicity. When it comes to baking traditional loaves there’s often a lot of waiting involved. This super seed beauty requires zero active baking yeast, so there’s no need to cover bowls with warm tea towels or wait for dough to rise. It’s simply a case of mixing everything in a food processor and stirring the seeds through the mix. What you get in return for your (minimal) efforts is a lovely, dense, nutty loaf, packed full of healthy oils, vitamins and nutrients.
- Melted coconut oil, for greasing
- 200g quinoa
- 500ml water
- 1 free-range egg
- 50g gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (flakes or powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 60g sunflower seeds
- 60g pumpkin seeds
Photo from Adobe Stock/HandmadePictures
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/fan 160 degrees Celsius/gas mark 4. Grease a sheet of baking paper with coconut oil and place it, oiled-side up, in a 450g loaf tin.
- Rinse the quinoa and cover with 400ml of the water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, covered, for around 15 minutes until it’s tender or the water has been completely absorbed. Allow to cool.
- Combine the egg and water in a food processor and blitz together. Add the cooked quinoa, oats, nutritional yeast and baking powder and pulse to combine.
- Finally stir in the sunflower and pumpkin seeds and season with a little salt.
- Scoop the bread mix into the prepared loaf tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove and carefully lift the loaf out of its tin using the baking paper.
- Peel off the baking paper and place the loaf on a tray. Cook for a further 30 minutes until it is evenly browned all over.
- Transfer the loaf to a cooling rack and allow to cool. Then slice it and enjoy topped with mashed avocado or nut butter.
Quinoa is a super seed, a great source of fibre, full of protein and it contains all nine essential amino acids. Sunflower seeds give your skin an additional glow, thanks to a healthy dose of vitamin E.
More from Radiant:
- Hydrating Watermelon Salad Recipe
- Pineapple Mint Mojito Recipe
- Scar-Reduction Combination
- Soothing Scalp Solution