The Power Bowl Recipe Book by Britt Brandon (Adams Media, 2017) contains over 150 recipes for specific health benefits, such as weight loss, immunity, heart health, digestion, and preparation before workouts and recovery afterwards. This salad has soy protein, betalain, and iron.
Tofu: soy protein regenerates muscle tissue
Beets: betalain promotes detoxifying processes in the liver
Spinach: iron acts to promote oxygen delivery to muscles
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
• 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and sliced thin
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 4 cups spinach
• 1 cup prepared millet
• 2 small cooked beets, peeled and thinly sliced (preferably with a mandoline)
1. Coat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add tofu and ginger. Drizzle ingredients with honey and sauté for 5 minutes or until tofu is slightly browned. Remove from heat to cool.
2. Add 2 cups fresh spinach to each of two serving bowls. Top each bowl with 1/2 cup millet and an equal amount of beets.
3. Pour half of the tofu mixture into each bowl and drizzle each bowl with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
More from The Power Bowl Recipe Book:
Excerpted from The Power Bowl Recipe Book: 140 Nutrient-Rich Dishes for Mindful Eating by Britt Brandon. Used by permission of the publisher, Adams Media, a division of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.