Ginger-Chili-Lime Chopped Vegetable and Chicken Salad Recipe
By Bevin Clare
Photo by Pixabay/StockSnap
This salad is inspired by the famous larb salads of Laos, which combine spices, vegetables, and cooked ground meat. (To make it vegetarian, use crumbled tofu for the protein.) This salad is best served at room temperature or chilled. This recipe can also be paired with rice or rice noodles. It’ll keep for 2 days, covered in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound protein (ground chicken or crumbled tofu)
- 1/2 pound green beans (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon natural sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large cucumber, coarsely diced
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro, mint, and/or basil
- Add the broth to a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the protein, and cook. Break the protein up into small pieces as it cooks. Once cooked, remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- While the protein is cooking, place the green beans in a steaming pot, and steam for 2 minutes. Strain, and then soak with cold water to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, sugar, ginger, chili, and tamari. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped pepper and cucumber. Cut the cooled green beans into 1-inch lengths, and add to pepper and cucumber mixture. Add the protein and the sauce, and mix well. Top the dish with the fresh herbs before serving.
For more Spicy-Hot Detoxing:
- Do a Spicy-Hot Detox
- Spicy Chai Tea Recipe
- Classic Fire Cider Recipe
- Iced Hot-and-Spicy Lemon Drink
- Lemon-Garlic Harissa Recipe
- Black Pepper and Ginger Sauce Recipe
Bevin Clare, M.S., R.H., CNS, is a clinical herbalist and nutritionist with a deep love for plants. She holds a master’s degree in infectious disease, and serves as president of the American Herbalists Guild.
Natural Caramel Apple Recipe
This scrumptious, all-natural caramel apple recipe gives you a healthy Halloween option your taste buds will love.
Stay hydrated this season with refreshing summer drinks.
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.