- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime, juiced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups prepared brown rice
- 1 cup canned, rinsed, and drained black beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Break eggs into skillet and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, turn, and cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes until whites are cooked and yolks are cooked to desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic powder, and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine prepared rice, black beans, and cayenne.
- Pour equal amounts of rice mixture into each of two serving bowls. Top each bowl’s rice with 2 fried eggs, equal amounts of tomato salsa, and half the avocado slices. Serve warm.
More from The Power Bowl Recipe Book:• Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties with Creamy Slaw • Beet Salad with Honey-Ginger Tofu
Excerpted from The Power Bowl Recipe Book: 140 Nutrient-Rich Dishes for Mindful Eating by Britt Brandon. Used by permission of the publisher, Adams Media, a division of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
The Power Bowl Recipe Book by Britt Brandon (Adams Media, 2017) contains over 150 recipes for specific health benefits, such as weight loss, immunity, heart health, digestion, and preparation before workouts and recovery afterwards. This savory power bowl is a nourishing meal fit for athletes.
Egg: choline supports brain health for optimized system functioning
Brown Rice: soluble fiber supports mineral absorption for improved muscle-related processes
Black Beans: protein maintains muscle mass
Avocado: healthy monounsaturated fats support brain, blood, and muscle health