Use finely ground red beets to naturally rosy up your look.
Red beets contain a pigment called betanin, which gives them their bright magenta coloring.
The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty (Robert Rose, 2016) by Sunny Subramanian and Chrystle Fiedle, contains only vegan cruelty-free, non-toxic, and gluten-free beauty recipes on a budget. Sunny was the first vegan beauty blogger, she runs the Vegan Beauty Review website, where she writes about the latest and greatest cruelty-free products in the fashion and beauty scene. Make these recipes in your own kitchen and take complete control over what goes on your skin.
It’s time to talk about your sweet cheeks (the ones upstairs, not your hindquarters). Using blush is a fabulous way to appear youthful and healthy, and this natural option rocks at rosying up your complexion.
Combine in a makeup sifter jar.
• 1 tsp finely ground beet root powder, alkanet root powder or hibiscus flower powder (5 mL)
• 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder (2 mL)
• 1/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (1 mL)
• Pinch gold mica powder pinch
• 3 to 5 drops lavender essential oil
1. Pour beet root powder into a small bowl. Whisk in arrowroot powder and cocoa powder, a little at a time, until desired shade is achieved. Discard any remaining arrowroot powder and cocoa powder.
2. Whisk in mica powder and lavender essential oil until well combined. Pour into jar.
3. Sprinkle blush onto a fluffy blush brush and apply to cheeks.
4. Store at room temperature for up to 6 months.
Best for: All skin types
Top Tip: Make sure your beet root powder is super-duper finely ground, and then grind it some more in a blender. The finer it is, the better it’ll adhere to your skin.
Superstar Ingredient: Beets contain high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and micronutrients. Red beets also contain a pigment called betanin, which gives them their bright magenta coloring. In addition to using beet root powder to make blush, you can also use it as natural food coloring.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE