All-Natural Chocolate Facial Mask
The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty(Robert Rose, 2016) by Sunny Subramanian and Chrystle Fiedle, contains only vegan cruelty-free, non-toxic, and gluten-free beauty recipes on a budget. Sunny was the first vegan beauty blogger, she runs the Vegan Beauty Review website, where she writes about the latest and greatest cruelty-free products in the fashion and beauty scene. Make these recipes in your own kitchen and take complete control over what goes on your skin.
This recipe is made with such yummy ingredients, like cocoa powder and luscious ripe cherries, that you’ll need serious willpower not to bake up a vegan cake to match. Oh, what the heck, why not make both? As Oscar Wilde wrote, “The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.”
Combine in a blender.
• 3 large ripe cherries, pitted
• 1 tbsp kaolin clay (15 mL)
• 1 tbsp almond milk (15 mL)
• 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (10 mL)
1. In blender, purée cherries, clay, almond milk and cocoa powder until smooth. Spoon into a small bowl.
2. Using fingers, spread mask all over damp cleansed facial skin. Let stand on skin for 10 minutes.
3. Rinse face with warm water and pat dry with a towel. Follow with your favorite toner and moisturizer.
4. Cover and store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Best for: All skin types
Top Tip: Cherry juice is useful for lightening skin and clearing up dark spots. Cherries contain the antioxidant vitamins A and C, plus the minerals potassium, zinc, iron, copper and manganese. The fruit and juice are anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and healing for damaged skin.
Superstar Ingredient: Cocoa powder is antioxidant-rich, so it helps neutralize harmful free radicals and repair skin cells.
For more from this book, see:
Rosy Face Moisturiser
Use rose petals and essential oil to stir up this hydrating, anti-ageing moisturizer — your dry skin’s new best friend.
Flower Not-Talcum Powder
Try this alternative to toxic talcum powder, which uses ground, dried flower petals of your choosing and arrowroot and orris root powder.
Rose and Cucumber Wake-Up-Well Toning Mist
Combine rose and cucumber waters to create a fresh, aromatic spray to refresh your face as part of your beauty routine.