The Compassionate Chick’s Guide to DIY Beauty (Robert Rose, 2016) by Sunny Subramanian and Chrystle Fiedle, contains only vegan cruelty-free, non-toxic, and gluten-free beauty recipes on a budget. Sunny was the first vegan beauty blogger, she runs the Vegan Beauty Review website, where she writes about the latest and greatest cruelty-free products in the fashion and beauty scene. Make these recipes in your own kitchen and take complete control over what goes on your skin.
There’s nothing like dry, chapped lips to make smooth lipstick application impossible. Argh! Plus, who wants to make out with a crusty-mouthed beast? Skip the store-bought lip scrub, save yourself some dough and experience the satisfaction of DIY-ing this beauty at home. Peppermint essential oil gives it the ooh-la-la tinglies.
Combine in a small glass jar with lid.
• 1 tbsp packed vegan brown sugar (15 mL)
• 1 tsp jojoba oil (5 mL)
• 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (1 mL)
• 3 drops peppermint essential oil
1. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, jojoba oil, vanilla extract and peppermint essential oil until sugar is moistened. Spoon into jar.
2. Using index finger or toothbrush, apply scrub to lips. Gently scrub, in circles, for 10 seconds.
3. Rinse lips with warm water and pat dry with a towel. Follow with a favorite vegan lip balm.
4. Store at room temperature out of direct sunlight for up to 6 months.
Best for: All skin types
Top Tip: If you like your lip scrub to glide more easily, add more jojoba oil, a few drops at a time, until you get the consistency you like.
Superstar Ingredient: The brown sugar in this recipe will help remove dry, flaky dead skin on your lips, making them kissably soft. Pucker up!