PB&B – three little letters I love to see come together. I’ve never quite been the fan of PB&J, thus I have created the PB&B breakfast special.
Since the original peanut butter and jelly combo is made with white toasted bread and jam, it is not the healthiest start to your day. We want to eat good to feel good, so go ahead, give it a try. This will make you smile even more on the frostiest of mornings.
178 calories / 22g carbs / 6g fat / 11g protein.
- 30g gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 banana, sliced (save a few slices to serve)
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds, plus extra to serve
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- 240 ml water, nut milk or a blend of both,
- plus extra to serve
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or any
- nut butter
- maple syrup, to serve (optional)
- 120 ml beaten egg or egg whites (optional)
- Put the oats, banana, chia seeds, cinnamon and sea salt in a pan over a medium–high heat. Add the water or milk and stir to combine. Cook for 3–4 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir the oats several times while cooking to make sure the banana slices melt into the oats and the chia seeds don’t clump together. You’ll know the oatmeal is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the oats are thick and fluffy.
- Divide the oats between two bowls and serve with the peanut butter, reserved banana slices and a sprinkle of chia seeds. Add a splash of milk and/or maple syrup on top before serving, if desired.
More from Beat Your Bloat:
Cover courtesy of Kyle Books
Excerpted with permission from Beat Your Bloat: Recipes and Exercises to Promote Digestive Health by Maeve Madden (Kyle Books, 2019).