The magic in these vegan, gluten-free, raw truffles recipe comes from Medjool dates, an exceptionally large variety that lends a gooey texture and rich taste. This sweet snack is quick to blend together with a food processor, and you can store the brownie truffles in the freezer since they’ll thaw back out almost immediately.
• 1/4 cup raw or roasted shelled pistachios
• 1 cup raw unsalted walnuts
• 14 large Medjool dates (about 1-1/2 cups)
• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
• 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, grind the pistachios for a minute or so into a very fine dust. Move the pistachio dust to a plate or flat dish and set it aside. Wipe out the bowl of the food processor.
2. Return the bowl to the food processor and add the walnuts; process for a few seconds until very finely chopped.
3. Remove the pits from the dates. Add the dates, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract to the walnuts, and process for another few seconds until the mixture is fully combined and crumbly.
4. Turn out the mixture into a medium bowl. Take a small handful of the mixture, squeeze it together, and then roll between your hands to form a ball, about 3/4 inch in diameter. Repeat to make 30 truffles total. Roll each in the plate of pistachio dust, then place the truffles in a sealable container.
More on no-cook summer meals:
This recipe was excerpted from A Couple Cooks | Pretty Simple Cooking: 100 Delicious Vegetarian Recipes to Make You Fall in Love with Real Food by Sonja Overhiser and Alex Overhiser. Copyright © 2018. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.