Relieve menstrual cramps and stomach tension with this old-time remedy. For more ginger recipes, read the original article, The Joy of Ginger.
Hot Ginger Poultice to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
• 1/2 cup freshly grated ginger root or
• 4 to 6 tablespoons powdered ginger
1. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
2. Put ginger root or powdered ginger into a bowl; mix with enough boiling water to make a thick paste.
3. Soak a dishcloth with boiling water, then place ginger paste on the hot cloth, folding the cloth over it. Let cool just enough so that it won’t burn the skin.
4. To use: Apply the poultice directly over the pelvis or stomach area. Keep the poultice hot by placing a hot water bottle over it. Leave it in place for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cramps subside.
Recipe excerpted from Rosemary Gladstar’s Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide, used with permission from Storey Publishing.