- 2 small eggplants (14 ounces/400 g)
- 3 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (90 ml) olive oil
- 1 large pita bread
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 1-3/4 cups (120 g) finely sliced red cabbage
- 8 tablespoons tahini and yogurt sauce
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- Cut the eggplants into slices 1 cm thick. Mix them with 1-1/2 teaspoons of the salt and let sit for 10 minutes. Wash the slices under running water, drain well and pat dry.
- Combine the remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons salt with the paprika, oregano, garlic powder, nigella seeds, mustard seeds and oil and stir into a marinade.
- Add the eggplant slices to the marinade and leave for at least 2 hours. Next, grill the slices over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes each side, take them off the grill and mix with the leftover marinade.
- Cut the bread into quarters. Toast them over direct heat for 2 minutes.
- Slice the tomato and cucumber. Thinly slice the onion.
- Fill the pita quarters with eggplant slices, tomato, cucumber, onion, and cabbage and top with tahini and yogurt sauce and fresh dill.
Recipe from VBQ: The Ultimate Vegan Barbecue Cookbook © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer, 2018. Photographs copyright © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer. Illustrations copyright © Nessa Horn. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
VBQ (The Experiment Publishing, 2018) by Nadine Horn and Jorg Mayer, includes great recipes for vegans and meat eaters alike, find many great options for barbecue lovers who are trying to eat less meat and new ways to cook veggies and meat alternatives. Vegetarians and vegans, impress your meat eating friends with Shish Kebab Wraps, Portabello Mushroom Panini’s and much more. Find this recipe in “Burgers, Sandwiches and Patties.”