VBQ (The Experiment Publishing, 2018) by Nadine Horn and Jorg Mayer, includes great recipes for vegans and meat eaters alike, find many great options for barbecue lovers who are trying to eat less meat and new ways to cook veggies and meat alternatives. Vegetarians and vegans, impress your meat eating friends with Shish Kebab Wraps, Portabello Mushroom Panini’s and much more. Find this recipe in “Burgers, Sandwiches and Patties.”
For the beans
- 1 shallot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup (150 g) cooked butter beans
- 3/4 cup (150 g) cooked kidney beans
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) basic barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the avocados
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- For the beans, finely dice the shallot. Put the oil in a hot saucepan and sweat the shallot over medium heat for 4 minutes, or until it turns translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the beans and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Brush the avocado halves on their cut sides with the olive oil and grill on their cut sides over direct heat for 4 minutes. Turn them over, fill them with the bean mixture and cook for another 5 minutes over indirect heat.
- Chop the cilantro and dice the cucumber. Top the avocado halves with cilantro and cucumber and serve with lime wedges.
Tip: The avocados should be served piping hot, but they can also be reheated.
More from VBQ:
Recipe from VBQ: The Ultimate Vegan Barbecue Cookbook © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer, 2018. Photographs copyright © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer. Illustrations copyright © Nessa Horn. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com