- 1/3 cup water
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed
- Preheat a wok (or a 12-inch sauté pan) over medium-high heat.
- Add water and half the spinach. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir and add the remaining spinach. Cover and let wilt for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool a few minutes.
- Place spinach in a strainer to remove excess liquid. Roughly chop spinach and divide evenly among silicone ice cube tray. Freeze.
- Once frozen, place the cubes in an airtight, resealable container.
Add these lutein-rich spinach cubes to countless dishes, such as scrambled eggs, green smoothies, and marinara sauce. Depending on the cooking time of your recipe, you may not need to thaw the cubes before use. Each cube provides 5 mg lutein plus zeaxanthin. Yield: 8 (1/4 cup) cubes.
Note: Spinach and other leafy greens are especially high in vitamin K, which can interfere with blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin.
Find Out More About Lutein:
Recipe and photo courtesy of Dr. Sandra Young © 2018, Visionary Kitchen.