Makes 1 cup
This delicious tea will create an inner warmth to help you survive cold, gloomy winter days. It is a good all-round tonic. Licorice is particularly helpful for treating upper and lower respiratory conditions. Ginger is warming and soothing to the chest and stomach. Yarrow, like ginger, acts as a diaphoretic (brings on a sweat) and is a decongestant with strong anti-allergenic properties.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh yarrow leaves and/or flowers
- ½ teaspoon ground licorice root
- ½ teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup boiling water
- Combine yarrow, licorice and ginger in a warmed small ceramic or glass teapot or cup.
- Add boiling water, cover and let steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain and drink.Caution: Licorice should be avoided if you have high blood pressure. Yarrow should be avoided during pregnancy.
Story, recipes and photos (unless otherwise noted) excerpted with permission from Healthy Teas by Tammy Safi, © Lansdowne Publishing, 2002, available in North America through Tuttle Publishing.
Click here for the original article, Spring to Life with Tea.