The measurements in this recipe needn’t be exact, but following the general proportions by volume (using a measuring cup) will be useful for achieving your desired consistency.
- 1 part clean pine pitch
- 2 parts extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated beeswax (proportions below)
- Using a double boiler, melt the pitch in the olive oil until it’s mostly dissolved — it’s fine if a little resin remains solid.
- Add the grated beeswax (1 part grated beeswax per 4 parts combined liquid oil and pitch).
- Pour into jars, and let cool before adding lids.
For more about pine, see:
Juliet Blankespoor is the director and founder of the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine, where she offers online courses on foraging, medicine making, and herb cultivation.