This combination of herbs creates a safe cold remedy for the whole family. Adults can drink 3 cups per day. Children’s dosages should be lessened proportionally.
- 1 quart water
- Handful pine needles (5 to 7 pine tops), fresh or dried
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried peppermint
- 1 tablespoon dried catnip
- Boil the pine needles in water for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and add the peppermint and catnip. Cover and let steep for an additional 20 minutes.
- Strain and add honey, if desired. Sip the tea while hot, reheating each cup as needed throughout the day.
For more about pine, see:
Juliet Blankespoor is the director and founder of the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine, where she offers online courses on foraging, medicine making, and herb cultivation.