Enjoy this simple, homemade addition to your natural beauty collection.
This is my favorite way to incorporate hydrosols into body care products. This homemade face cream, developed by herbalist and author Rosemary Gladstar, is decadent in its own right, and the hydrosols take it to the next level. Rose hydrosol works well in this recipe, as would lavender, rose geranium, calendula, or even cucumber.
• 2/3 cup rose hydrosol (or another hydrosol of your choice, or distilled water)
• 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
• 1 or 2 drops essential oil of choice
• Vitamins A and E, as desired
• 3/4 cup apricot, almond, or grapeseed oil
• 1/3 cup coconut oil or cocoa butter
• 1/4 tsp lanolin
• 1/2 to 1 ounce grated beeswax
1. Combine the waters in a glass measuring cup. (You can use tap water instead of hydrosol or distilled water, but it will sometimes introduce bacteria and encourage the growth of mold.) Set aside.
2. In a double boiler over low heat, combine the oils. Heat them just enough so they melt.
3. Pour the oils into a blender and let them cool to room temperature. The mixture should become thick, creamy, semisolid, and cream-colored. This cooling process can be hastened in the refrigerator, but keep an eye on it so it doesn’t become too hard.
4. After the mixture has cooled, turn the blender to its highest speed. In a slow, thin drizzle, pour the water mixture into the center vortex of the whirling oil.
5. After you’ve added about 3/4 of the water to the oils, listen to the blender and watch the cream. When the blender coughs and chokes and the cream looks thick and white, like buttercream frosting, turn off the blender. You can slowly add more water, beating it in by hand with a spoon, but don’t over-beat! The cream will thicken as it sets.
6. Pour into cream or lotion jars. Store in a cool location.
Watch videos, listen to podcasts, and get more inspiration for your hydrosol ventures at All About Hydrosols.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE