This bread is a true quick bread, in that it prepares for the oven in about 10 minutes. Its great slathered with whole fruit preserves or your favorite nut butter.
Vegan Banana Bread Recipe with Sunflower Seeds
Makes 1 loaf | Ease Factor: 2
• 1-1/3 cups sliced bananas (about 1 very large or 2 small)
• 1-2/3 cups nondairy milk (a thicker variety works best)
• 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 4 tablespoons ground golden flaxseeds
• 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 cup raw unsweetened shredded dried coconut
• 1/2 cup Sucanat, brown sugar, or your preferred dry sweetener
• 1/2 cup pitted and diced dates
• 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with vegan margarine.
2. Put the banana slices and 1⁄3 cup of the nondairy milk in a small bowl and mash until smooth using a potato masher or large fork.
3. Put the flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt in a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk to combine. Add the coconut and Sucanat (or brown sugar); stir with the whisk to combine. Stir in the remaining 1-1⁄3 cups of nondairy milk and mix until incorporated. Fold in the dates and sunflower seeds. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
4. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Put the pan on a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Loosen the sides of the bread with a knife. Carefully invert the loaf onto a wire rack. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
5. Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, the loaf will keep for 3 days.
Amount per serving, based on 1 loaf (12 slices): 258 Calories; 10g Fat; 6g Saturated fat; 6g Protein; 22mg Sodium; 39g Total Carbohydrate; 16g Sugars; 6g Fiber
Recipe reprinted with permission from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease, ©2015 by Laura Theodore.
Laura Theodore is a 2014 TASTE award-winning television personality, radio host, vegan chef, cookbook author and recording artist. She is author of Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites and Jazzy Vegetarian: Lively Vegan Cuisine Made Easy and Delicious. Laura is the on-camera host, writer and co-producer of the popular cooking show, Jazzy Vegetarian and hosts the weekly podcast radio show, Jazzy Vegetarian Radio.