Vegan Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Oh, how we used to love mozzarella sticks before we went vegan. Naturally, it was one of the worst cravings we had, until we discovered how to make our very own dairy-free vegan mozzarella sticks with homemade cashew mozzarella!
Tip for the lazy: If you want to skip making your own cheese, use a block of store-bought vegan cheese that melts when hot.
- 1 cup (130 g) raw, unsalted cashews (soaked overnight; see instructions)
- 4 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chickpea or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kala namak (Himalayan black salt)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (130 ml) water
- 1 cup (60 g) panko flakes
- 1/4 cup (40 g) breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- oil for frying
- Soak the cashews in water overnight. The next day, rinse and drain the cashews.
- After soaking overnight, place the cashews and all other cashew mozzarella ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. You might have to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Transfer the cheese mixture into a saucepan and bring to medium heat. Keep stirring for 3 to 4 minutes until a stretchy consistency is formed. Then, transfer the cheese into a container and let it cool off. Let it chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour and then in the freezer for another hour after that.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices and then into sticks.
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, kala namak, and 1/2 cup water. You might have to add a bit more water or flour to reach the right egg-like consistency.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the panko flakes, breadcrumbs, and spices.
- Heat the frying oil in a pot to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. Dip each mozzarella stick first into the batter, then into the breading. Make sure they are coated on all sides. Carefully lower each mozzarella stick into the oil and fry until golden and crispy. Work in batches until all mozzarella sticks are fried.
- Transfer mozzarella sticks to paper towels to remove excess oil. Serve them with a simple tomato dip*.
*To make our tomato dip, simply whisk together 1/4 cup (65 g) tomato passata, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, garlic powder, and cracked black pepper to taste.
More from Cravings Made Vegan:
Cover courtesy of Skyhorse Publishing
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Delicious and Easy Frybread Tacos Recipe
Learn about the origins of frybread and follow this recipe to make fresh, homemade frybread tacos, sometimes known as Navajo tacos.
Spicy Chai Tea Recipe
Activate your internal fire with the pungent spices and aromatics of this chai tea to rid your body of unwanted toxins.