Makes: 2 servings.
Time: 65 min.
If you ate chicken in the past, you must have craved this dish at least once since you’ve made the switch to veganism. Our take on a classic fried chicken burger includes homemade seitan, breaded and fried until golden brown and crispy. It’s perfect. Add some lettuce and vegan mayo, and you’re already good to go. You can also add tomatoes, pickles, mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, or whatever your heart (or stomach) desires.
- 1/2 cup (60 g) vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup (30 g) + 1 cup chickpea flour, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon chicken seasoning*
- 1⁄3 cup (75 ml) sparkling water
- oil for frying
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 cup (75 g) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (40 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (15 g) panko flakes
- 2 burger buns
- lettuce, chopped
- vegan mayo*
- Combine vital wheat gluten,1/4 cup chickpea flour, and 1/2 tablespoon chicken seasoning for the seitan chicken in a mixing bowl. Add the sparkling water. Stir to combine and let the kitchen machine knead the seitan for 5 minutes or knead it by hand for 10 minutes.
- Add a steaming basket to a large pot and fill with a couple of inches of water. Bring the water to a boil.
- Divide the seitan into 2 equal pieces and press each piece into a chicken filet shape about 1-inch (3 cm) thick. Add the seitan to the steaming basket and let it steam for about 20 minutes, flipping it after 10 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the remaining chickpea flour, water, and sriracha sauce for the egg replacement and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the breadcrumbs, all-purpose flour, panko flakes, and remaining chicken seasoning.
- Once the steamed seitan chicken filets are soft and cooled off, dip them first in the egg replacement, then coat them in the breading.
- Heat the frying oil in a pot (just enough so that the chicken patties can swim; make sure there’s enough room in the pot to prevent it from spilling over) to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C, and carefully add the breaded seitan filets (work in batches). Let each patty fry for about 4 minutes until golden and crispy. Transfer each seitan patty onto a paper towel to remove excess oil.
*To make a quick vegan mayo, to a bowl add 1/8 cup (30 ml) unsweetened soy milk, 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon mustard, 1/8 teaspoon maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon lime juice. With an immersion blender mix for 1 minute then slowly drizzle 1/3 cup (80 g) while the immersion blender is running. blend 3 minutes until mayo is thick and creamy. Add more salt, mustard, or lime juice to taste. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Add a splash of water to make the mayo easier to drizzle.
Add chicken patties to the burger buns. Top each patty with chopped lettuce and any other toppings you desire. Spread vegan mayo onto the top burger buns and enjoy!
More from Cravings Made Vegan:
Cover courtesy of Skyhorse Publishing