This sunny salad is an ideal partner to grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon. You can switch around ingredients without sacrificing the tropical feel: Try diced pineapple or papaya instead of mango, mint instead of cilantro, or add some fresh chilies. Black rice looks stunning alongside vibrant radishes and mango, but a chewy brown basmati tastes just as good.
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
• Scant 2 cups water or vegetable stock
• 4 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
• 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into
• 1⁄2-inch cubes
• 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
• 1 or 2 bunches radishes, trimmed and diced
• Grated zest of 1 lime
• 2-1⁄2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
• 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2. Put cooled rice in large bowl. Add green onions, mango, avocado and radishes. Scatter lime zest, lime juice, oil, remaining 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, pepper and cilantro over top. Using a spatula, gently fold ingredients together to combine. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lime juice, if needed. Serve at room temperature.
Adapted from Brassicas: Cooking the World’s Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More by Laura B. Russell.