- 1 cup black rice or brown basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Scant 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into
- 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 or 2 bunches radishes, trimmed and diced
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 2-1⁄2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Put rice in a saucepan with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and water or stock. Bring to boil over high heat, turn heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove pan from heat without removing lid, and let rice steam for 5 minutes longer. You will have approximately 3 cups of rice. Spread rice on baking sheet to prevent clumping and let cool to room temperature. (Rice can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before finishing recipe.)
2. Put cooled rice in large bowl. Add green onions, mango, avocado and radishes. Scatter lime zest, lime juice, oil, remaining 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, pepper and cilantro over top. Using a spatula, gently fold ingredients together to combine. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lime juice, if needed. Serve at room temperature.
Read More:Hearty Salads for Winter
Adapted from Brassicas: Cooking the World’s Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More by Laura B. Russell.
This sunny salad is an ideal partner to grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon. You can switch around ingredients without sacrificing the tropical feel: Try diced pineapple or papaya instead of mango, mint instead of cilantro, or add some fresh chilies. Black rice looks stunning alongside vibrant radishes and mango, but a chewy brown basmati tastes just as good.