Learn a healthy twist on baked sweet potato pie, combined with the high-protein lentil to bake one of the healthiest cakes.
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 white cabbage
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2-1/2 cups arugula
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the lentils in a pot with 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 15 minutes until tender. Tip into a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- While the lentils are cooking, peel the sweet potatoes and chop roughly into small pieces, then place in a pan with a pinch of salt. Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Using a potato masher, gently crush the potatoes. Add to the bowl with the lentils.
- Season the mashed sweet potato and lentils with the cumin, half of the chives and a pinch of salt. Mix well. Shape into 6 cakes. Coat the top and bottom of each cake with sesame seeds and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Flip over halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Remove the outer leaves and stalk from the cabbage, then finely slice. Place in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, remaining chives and a pinch of salt.
- To pack: Allow the cakes to cool before packing. Place the cabbage salad on one side in the lunchboxes and the arugula on the other side. Arrange the cakes in the middle.
- 3 Zucchini Noodle Jar Recipes
- Chicken Salad with Carrot and Pomegranate Tabbouleh Recipe
- Goat Cheese and Hummus Toast Recipe
Excerpted from Lunchbox Salads: More than 100 Fast, Fresh Filling Salads for Every Weekday by Naomi Twigden and Anna Pinder. Copyright © 2018.