Raspberry Ripple Doughnut Recipe
I have never been able to resist a sugar-coated, freshly-fried doughnut. Making your own is as satisfying as eating them. There is nothing especially different about these doughnuts to make them low calorie, except for the filling (yogurt rather than the traditional custard) and their slightly smaller size.
Makes 18 doughnuts.
Calories 217 | Carbs 19g | Sugar 8.5g | Protein 3g | Fiber 0.7g | Fat 14g | Sat Fat 3g | Salt trace
- 250g (9oz) strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5g or 1/8 oz) fast-action dried yeast (from a 7g or 1/4 oz sachet of dried yeast)
- 2 medium eggs
- pinch of salt
- 55g (2oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature (needs to be very soft)
- 2 litres (3-1/2 pints) vegetable or sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 100g (3-1/2 oz) caster sugar
- 150g (5oz) fresh raspberries
- 300g (10-1/2 oz) vanilla yogurt
- Place the flour, sugar, yeast, eggs and salt with 75ml (2-1/2 fl oz) water in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Beat on a medium speed until the dough starts to come away from the sides, 7–8 minutes. Add half of the butter and when well incorporated, add the rest. Beat on a high speed for 5–6 minutes, until smooth, glossy and elastic. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave in a warm place to rise, until doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a little to remove excess air. Divide the mixture into 18 25g (1oz) balls. They will seem small, but will expand with a second prove and when fried. Roll into small, tight balls and place on a lightly floured baking tray, leaving plenty of space between each one. Prove in a warm place for 2–3 hours, until doubled in size.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or large, deep frying pan. If you can, monitor the heat of the oil so that it is around 180 degrees C/350 degrees F. Deep-fry each doughnut for about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper and then immediately roll in the caster sugar. Repeat with all the doughnuts.
- Mash the raspberries into the vanilla yogurt and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a medium round nozzle. When the doughnuts are cool, use a knife to cut a deep incision in each. Pipe in the yogurt mix and then serve as soon as possible.
More from Skinny Desserts:
Cover courtesy of Kyle Books
Excerpted with permission from Skinny Desserts by Kathryn Bruton (Kyle Books, 2019).
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Delicious and Easy Frybread Tacos Recipe
Learn about the origins of frybread and follow this recipe to make fresh, homemade frybread tacos, sometimes known as Navajo tacos.
Spicy Chai Tea Recipe
Activate your internal fire with the pungent spices and aromatics of this chai tea to rid your body of unwanted toxins.