Chocolate Salted Caramel Swirl Meringue Recipe
Utterly predictable is my love of salted caramel. No amount of willpower can keep me away if it is within reach – add chocolate and I go weak at the knees. These meringues are unusual in so far as they are cooked for a very short time. The result is almost marshmallow-like, with a thin crispy exterior and melt-in-your-mouth, light-as-a-feather meringue inside. If you are a fan of chilli, try simmering the caramel with ½ teaspoon of dried chilli flakes, then strain and allow to cool. This piquant layer of flavor is delicious.
Calories 116 | Carbs 23g | Sugar 23g | Protein 2g | Fiber 0g | Fat 2g | Sat Fat 1g | Salt 0.6g
- 1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt
- 60g (2oz) caramel
- 20g (3/4 oz) dark chocolate, minimum 80% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 4 egg whites (approx. 150g/5oz)
- 220g (8oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C/300 degrees F/gas mark 2. Line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt with the caramel and set aside. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and set aside to cool.
- On a medium speed, whisk the egg whites in the bowl of an electric stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. When added, increase the speed to high and continue whisking for about 8 minutes. Reduce the speed and add the white wine vinegar. Increase the speed again and whisk for another 2 minutes.
- Spoon ten meringues onto the trays and drizzle a little of the salted caramel on top. Swirl into the meringue mixture using a knife. Drizzle a little chocolate over each meringue, and again, gently swirl into the meringue. Sprinkle over the remaining sea salt.
- Place in the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 120 degrees C/250 degrees F/gas mark 1/2. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow to cool for a further 30 minutes in the oven. Set aside to cool.
More from Skinny Desserts:
Cover courtesy of Kyle Books
Excerpted with permission from Skinny Desserts by Kathryn Bruton (Kyle Books, 2019).
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Delicious and Easy Frybread Tacos Recipe
Learn about the origins of frybread and follow this recipe to make fresh, homemade frybread tacos, sometimes known as Navajo tacos.
Spicy Chai Tea Recipe
Activate your internal fire with the pungent spices and aromatics of this chai tea to rid your body of unwanted toxins.