Flageolet Beans Recipe
Photo by Getty Images/frederique wacquier
In France, it’s traditional to serve flageolet beans with leg of lamb or roast beef. You can add some of the natural meat gravy to the flageolets at serving time.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
- 1 pound dried flageolet beans
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 6 cups salted cold water
- 1 onion or large shallot, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig of thyme (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Rinse the beans in a colander, and then transfer them to a large pot filled with cold water. Add the baking soda, and then bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 5 minutes. (This is more effective than soaking, and solves the flatulence problem often attributed to beans.) Strain the beans.
- Bring the salted water to a boil in a heavy pot. Add the blanched beans, onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour; be careful not to overcook, or the beans begin to fall apart. Remove thyme and bay leaf before serving.
- Authentic French Salad Dressing Recipe
- French Vegetables for the Fall Table
- Sorrel Fish Sauce Recipe
- Sorrel Soup Recipe
Monitor your histamine intake with these simple, healthy dishes that pack plenty of palate-pleasing flavor.
Delicious and Easy Frybread Tacos Recipe
Learn about the origins of frybread and follow this recipe to make fresh, homemade frybread tacos, sometimes known as Navajo tacos.
Spicy Chai Tea Recipe
Activate your internal fire with the pungent spices and aromatics of this chai tea to rid your body of unwanted toxins.