Organic Oktoberfest: Celebrate With Organic Beer
Lift a pesticide-free pint in celebration of fall’s organic harvest. Taking a cue from more established British organic ale makers, American brewers are crafting foamy beverages in the spirit of a cleaner environment.
Hops and barley are typically grown using pesticides and chemical fertilizers. “We’re committed to organic, sustainable grain farming,” says Max Oswald of Otter Creek Brewing, which makes Wolaver’s Certified Organic beers in Middlebury, Vermont. “We focus on environmental benefits, but the truth is organic grain is better quality, so it’s a perfect ingredient for craft beer.”
Brews with an organic head:
Check websites to find beers’ availability in your area.
• Butte Creek Brewing Company, Chico, California: porter, ale, India pale ale
• Eel River Brewing Company, Fortuna, California: India pale ale, extra pale ale, amber ale, and porter
• Laurel Wood Brewery, Portland, Oregon: Free Range Red, Tree Hugger Porter
• Wolaver’s: pale ale, India pale ale, wit bier, brown ale
Nonorganic brews with environmental causes:
• Hawaiian Honu Beer donates some proceeds to the World Turtle Trust.
• The Great Lakes Brewing Company has a zero-waste policy and gives spent grain to farmers for soil amendment and cattle feed.
Ghee: The Health G(h)eeks’ Favorite Fat
India’s golden cooking fat, ghee, has made a name for itself as a non-perishable, low-lactose alternative to butter.
All-Purpose Nettle Seed Salt Recipe
Learn to create an all-purpose nettle seed seasoning with a mild taste and properties that promote energy and stamina.
Safe Food Storage
Ditch those plastic containers and bags for healthier and more environmentally friendly kitchen storage alternatives.