Serve this spinach quiche as a light dinner with a salad or as a hearty breakfast dish.
• 1 medium butternut squash
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 6 ounces fresh spinach leaves, thick stems removed
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
• 1 nine-inch pie shell, unbaked
1. Halve and seed the squash. Place it cut side down in a baking dish with 1/4 inch of water. Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the spinach, cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the spinach wilts.
3. In a large bowl, lightly scramble the eggs, milk, thyme, nutmeg, garlic and pepper. Fold in the spinach and cheese. Pare the cooled squash, cut it into 1-inch cubes, and add the cubes to the cheese mixture.
4. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake, uncovered, at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400°F, and bake 30 minutes longer, or until the top is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
–Sandy Richardson, Louisville, Colorado