Fruit Salad with Herb Syrup
Serves 8 to 10
This light, refreshing dessert salad can also be made with blueberries, pineapple, nectarines, or bananas–whatever is abundant and in season.
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
1 large handful of bruised fresh mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena, or lemon grass, in any combination
Few strips of lime zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
3 or 4 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
1 small ripe cantaloupe, seeded, and cut into bite-size pieces
1 small ripe honeydew melon, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
1. Make the flavored fruit syrup by combining water, sugar, vanilla, herbs, and zest.
2. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. When cooled to room temperature, strain the syrup and stir in the lime juice.
4. At this point the syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
5. Toss the peaches and melon together in a large bowl. Pour the syrup over the fruit. Toss the mixture well. Cover the fruit and chill it for at least 1/2 hour before serving. Serve at cool room temperature.
For more salad recipes, read the original article, “Salad Days: 5 Summer Salad Recipes.”