This turmeric-black tea brew is perfect for keeping you warm on a chilly day.
This warming drink recipe is a variation of the Golden Milk recipe in the May 2011 article, Herb to Know: Turmeric. Be sure to wear gloves when handling turmeric or curry powder to keep your fingers from staining yellow. MAKES 2 TO 3 SERVINGS OF TURMERIC-BLACK TEA BREW.
• 1 tablespoon butter, softened at room temperature
• 1 tablespoon ground turmeric OR curry powder
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 cups water
• 2 to 3 black tea bags OR 2 to 3 tablespoons loose tea
• 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
• 1 cup milk or unsweetened soymilk
• 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar, to taste
1. In a small bowl, carefully combine butter with turmeric, ginger and cinnamon until you have a paste.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring water, tea bags and peppercorns to a boil. Remove from heat and steep for 5 or more minutes. Strain and reserve.
3. Heat milk or soymilk in another saucepan over low heat until warm. Add strained tea mixture and stir.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the warm liquid mixture to the small bowl. Slowly stir and blend paste with liquid mixture.
5. When paste has dissolved, add bowl contents to saucepan. Stir until completely blended. Serve warm in mugs or teacups.
Letitia L. Star is a freelance writer and recipe developer who frequently contributes to The Herb Companion.
Click here for the main article, Warm Up with Winter Drinks.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE