The Naked Cookbook (10 Speed Press, 2016) by Tess Ward is a transformative approach to healthy eating that strips back one's diet to simple, clean, and pure foods that cleanse, restore, and nourish the body. This is not a deprivation diet, but an achievable lifestyle where food is enjoyed and celebrated in its purest form. This excerpt comes from chapter 1, "Pure."
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Naked Cookbook.
Baked meatballs are a bit of a revelation; they achieve a pleasing oven-roasted crispness on top, but they are soft and mouthwateringly tender underneath.
• 1 pound, 2 ounces ground pork
• 2 cups fresh rye or spelt bread crumbs
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
• 1 heaping teaspoon spicy smoked paprika
• 2 tablespoons minced cilantro sprigs
• 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 heaping teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more for cooking bok choy
• 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups chicken stock
• 4 baby bok choy, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the ground pork, bread crumbs, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, and paprika in a mixing bowl. Add the cilantro, molasses, honey, salt, and a little pepper. Using your hands, mix together well and then form the mixture into 12 to 14 patties.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet, then fry the patties until brown on both sides. Place in a shallow ovenproof dish and add enough stock to come three-quarters of the way up the patties. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat a little oil in the pan used to cook the patties. Add the bok choy, sliced side down, and fry for a couple of minutes until golden and soft, adding 1 tablespoon of water halfway through to prevent burning.
5. Ladle the porkballs and cooking liquid into shallow bowls, add the bok choy and a grinding of pepper, and serve.
More from The Naked Cookbook:
Reprinted with permission from The Naked Cookbook, by Tess Ward, copyright © 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2015 by Columbus Leth. Buy this book from our store: The Naked Cookbook.