• 3 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves, divided
• 2 cups spinach
• 3 garlic cloves
• 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
• 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 yellow onion, finely diced (prepared on Saturday)
• 1-1⁄2 cups long-grain brown rice
1. Combine 2-1⁄2 cups cilantro, spinach, garlic, 2 cups broth, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm oil, add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and the cilantro mixture.
3. Add remaining 1 cup broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Do not uncover pot while rice is cooking, except to begin checking at around 30 minutes.
4. Remove rice from heat and allow it to rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff. Finely chop remaining 1⁄2 cup cilantro and fold into rice. Let cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Makes about 6 cups.