Serves 6 to 8
Fennel and basil pair up as flavorful accents for this tasty salad. To further improve this already-healthy dish’s nutritional profile, you can add four small shredded beets and two large peeled and shredded carrots.
• 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
• 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
• 1 small fennel bulb, shredded
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
• 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
• 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
1. Toss cabbage, fennel and basil in a large serving bowl.
2. Whisk together peanut oil and next seven ingredients (through honey) in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour dressing over slaw, tossing to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and chill 2 hours. Garnish with fresh basil.
Frequent contributor Kris Wetherbee writes and gardens in the hills of western Oregon.
Click here for the main article,
10 Thanksgiving Day Recipes