Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups beets, carrots, turnips, etc., peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon horseradish root, sliced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 raspberry leaves
- 2 tablespoons whey
- Salt water to cover (1 tablespoon salt per quart of water)
- Combine vegetables, spices and whey in a large bowl. Gradually add mixture to the crock. Add weighting stones and push down firmly.
- Top off with sterile, chlorine-free salt water to cover stones by 1 inch. Ferment 6 weeks at temperatures recommended above.
Michael O’Brien is studying biochemistry at Colorado State University. Previously an electrical engineer, he now operates a “dryland” landscaping company and also enjoys organic gardening. His goal is to understand and promote healthy lifestyles.
Click here for the original article, Fermented Vegetables.