From Carol Daggett, Wyoming, Michigan
Makes 16 scones
For a midmorning snack, try these scones flavored with a sprightly combination of fresh basil, chives, garlic, and optional fennel seed, or substitute your own favorite herbs.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Buttermilk for glaze
- 1–2 tablespoons fennel seed (optional)
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cheese, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, egg, lemon juice, garlic, chives, and basil. Add the liquid to the dry mixture, stirring to make a soft dough. Knead a few times on a lightly floured surface.
2. Cut the dough in half and pat each half into an 8- to 9-inch round on a greased cookie sheet. Cut each circle into eight wedges but do not separate them. Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with fennel seed if desired.
3. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then wrap loosely in a clean dish towel and cool 15 to 20 minutes longer to allow the flavor to develop before serving.
Click here for the original article, Kitchen Table: Hickory-Smoked Leg of Lamb with Basil/Mint Pesto, Herb Scones and C Tea.