Serves 4 to 6
This simple, quick, and flavorful spring pasta dish is hard to beat. We have been making versions of it for a dozen years; this is our current favorite.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces mild goat cheese
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine
- 1 cup coarsely chopped rocket leaves
- 1 cup watercress leaves, or leaves and tender stems of upland or garden cress
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Combine the whipping cream, half-and-half, and garlic in a large sauté pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
2. Reduce the heat to low and crumble the goat cheese into the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Remove the sauce from the heat.
3. Cook the fettuccine in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still slightly firm. Drain the pasta.
4. Stir the rocket and cress into the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Toss the fettuccine with the sauce. Transfer to a heated platter or pasta dishes and serve hot with a grinding of black pepper on top.
For a change, begin by softening a shallot or two in a tablespoon of butter. Then add the cream and half-and-half, omitting the garlic, and proceed with the recipe.
Click here for the original article, Home-Grown Greens: Recipes Using Greens.