Caramelized Kabocha Squash
Broiled winter squash is a perfect side to just about any cold-weather meal.
1 pound Kabocha squash, peeled
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 stick unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Cut squash into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, discard seeds, and slice each round into two strips.
2. Mix together salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small bowl.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter, and place squash in the pan in a single layer. Lightly sprinkle seasoning mixture on squash. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, and remove squash from pan. Repeat with remaining squash. When finished cooking squash, melt remaining butter in pan.
4. Preheat broiler and move a rack to the top slot.
5. In an ovenproof serving dish, layer squash like shingles on a roof. Drizzle melted butter over squash, and sprinkle brown sugar on top. Broil until sugar has melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Serves 4
For more squash recipes, read the original article, "Winter Squash Recipes."