Photo by Sonja and Alex Overhiser
Smashed white bean salad sandwiches are a vegetarian option that avoids the heat of cooking and provides healthy protein for a tasty summer meal.
2 servings SERVINGS
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 small green onions
- One 15-ounce can navy or cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bread (or 2 croissants)
- 2 radishes
- 2 lettuce leaves
- Thinly slice the celery and green onions. Drain and lightly rinse the beans.
- In a medium bowl, roughly smash the beans with a fork, leaving about a third of them whole. Stir in the celery, green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed, garlic powder, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Taste the mixture, and continue adding salt a few pinches at a time until the flavor pops but is not too salty; the exact amount of salt will vary based on the brand of beans.
- While the bread is toasting, thinly slice the radishes. Place lettuce on one slice of bread, then spread the bean salad over it. Top with radishes and the remaining slice of bread.
More on no-cook summer meals:• Just Chill: Satisfying, No-Cook Summer Meal • Cream of Cucumber Soup Recipe • Raw Brownie Truffles with Pistachio Dust Recipe • Smashed White Bean Salad Sandwiches Recipe
This recipe was excerpted from A Couple Cooks | Pretty Simple Cooking: 100 Delicious Vegetarian Recipes to Make You Fall in Love with Real Food by Sonja Overhiser and Alex Overhiser. Copyright © 2018. Available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
This no-cook recipe results in a filling and cooling summer meal: simple, smashed white bean salad sandwiches that combine fresh produce with flavorful seasonings and protein-packed beans.