Dairy-Free Soft Cheese with Chives Recipe
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup water, preferably filtered or unchlorinated
- 1 capsule probiotics or 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 1 tablespoon dark miso
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chives, chopped
- Soak cashews in water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Blend cashews with just enough of their soaking water to create a smooth texture. Pour the blend into a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Empty the contents of the probiotic capsule or add the probiotic powder; stir together. Cover with a cloth and allow to ferment for 8 to 12 hours, depending on taste preference. The longer it ferments, the stronger the flavor will be.
- Blend all remaining ingredients together except chives. Once blended, gently stir in chives.
Want more information on this easy-to-grow herb? Check out All About Chives: Growing, Harvesting and Using Chives.
Adapted with permission from The Probiotic Promise by Michelle Schoffro Cook.