- 1-2/3 cups
- , or dairy milk, plus more if needed
- 1-2/3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 medium
- (about 1-1/3 pounds), peeled and finely sliced (ideally on a mandoline)
- A large handful of
- also work well), sliced
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the milk, cream, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves in a saucepan and season. Simmer gently for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Add the turnips, and add more milk to cover if necessary, simmer until just tender.
- Lightly steam the turnip greens until almost tender.
- Strain the turnips, reserve the creamy milk, and remove the thyme and bay leaves.
- Layer the turnips, turnip greens, and cheese in a baking dish, pouring the creamy milk over each layer. Top with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
More from Super Foods Every Day:• Squash and Yogurt Parfait Recipe • Super Foods 101
Reprinted from Super Foods Every Day, by Sue Quinn, copyright 2015 by Hachette Livre (Marabout), published in the U.S. by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs Victoria Wall Harris.
From greens and fruits to nuts, herbs, and seeds, Super Foods Every Day (Ten Speed Press, 2015) by Sue Quinn is your guide to healthy living. It’s easy to fill your diet with nutrient-dense foods, and these foods can in turn protect against cancer, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and make it easier to live a healthy life. Learn the health-boosting benefits of kale, cauliflower, blueberries, and dark chocolate, and try the tasty recipes that are sure to bring your energy to your day!
The super foods used in this recipe are set in boldface so that they can be identified easily. Some ingredients — such as nut milks, wakame, tahini, and miso — might also be set in boldface because they are forms of super foods.
Potential benefits of this recipe:
• protects against cancer and cardiovascular disease
• lowers cholesterol
• supports digestive and bone health and the immune system
• eases post-menopausal symptoms
Vitamins A, C, and K, folate, calcium, flavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, iron, magnesium, carotenoids, manganese, glucosinolates