Photo by Getty Images/MarinaParshina
The use of almond and coconut flour instead of grain-based flours adds sweetness to this recipe without the addition of processed white sugar. Here, dates serve as the sole sweetener. For those accustomed to a sweeter palate, spread bread slices with jam or maple syrup.
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup dates
- 1-1⁄2 cups pumpkin
- 1-1⁄2 cups almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil a loaf pan.
- Heat almond milk until warmed. Add dates and let them soak until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend pumpkin with dates and almond milk until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, dry spices, baking soda, and salt, stirring until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla. Gently fold in pumpkin-date mixture, and then add to dry ingredients, stirring gently to incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set in the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing.