- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup torn and chopped cilantro
- 4 large red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed, stems intact
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Extra Greek yogurt and cilantro, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3–4 minutes until soft. Add tomatoes and continue to cook for another 3–4 minutes. Add the cumin, red pepper flakes, and chili powder and mix well.
- Stir in the black beans, quinoa, and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer on low for 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Slowly add the Greek yogurt and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Stuff the peppers with the quinoa mixture, and place in a large baking dish. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle each pepper half with 1 tablespoon cheese, and bake for another 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and cilantro, if desired.
More Recipes from The Greek Yogurt Cookbook• Creamy Vegetable Quinoa Soup Recipe • Carrot Ginger Apple Smoothie Recipe • Pumpkin-Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Per Serving: Calories: 373 Fat: 13 g Cholesterol: 21 mg Carbohydrates: 48 g Sugar: 8 g Fiber: 8.5 g Sodium: 144 mg Protein: 17.5 g
Excerpted from The Greek Yogurt Cookbook by Lauren Kelly, CN. Copyright © 2013 F+W Media, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photos courtesy of Sylvia McArdle. Purchase this book from our store: The Greek Yogurt Cookbook.
The Greek Yogurt Cookbook (F+W Media, 2013) by Lauren Kelly provides innovative ways to enjoy Greek yogurt at every meal. This all-in-one cooking guide also offers advice for making your own yogurt at home. Start adding this superfood to your diet with the following recipe for Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Greek Yogurt Cookbook.
These make a perfect side dish or a vegetarian entrée. Quinoa is filled with protein and is also gluten free, which makes it a wonderful option for vegetarians or those with a wheat allergy.