- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Olive oil spray
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1-1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cheddar or pepper jack cheese or Daiya shreds
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 large eggs, beaten or flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Coconut or canola oil, for cooking
- If using flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons warm water. Stir well and set aside. (Skip this step if you are using eggs.)
- Spray a medium pan with olive oil and heat to medium. Add onion and pepper and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine 3/4 cup of the beans and 3/4 cup of quinoa. Process until well blended. Add to the bowl with the onion mixture and stir in remaining beans and quinoa, cheese, taco seasoning, paprika, and salsa.
- Mix until combined and add in (flax) eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix well and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Form into patties and place the patties in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to medium and cook until browned, flipping once.Calories 234, Fat 4.2g, Carbohydrates 35.4g, Protein 13.6g, Cholesterol 64mg, Sodium 326mg, Fiber 7g, Sugars 4.1g
More from The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook• Cinnamon Carrot Muffins Recipe• Quinoa Spaghetti Recipe
Excerpted with permission from The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook: Eat Great, Lose Weight, Feel Healthy by Maria Wendy Polisi. Copyright 2013, Skyhorse Publishing, Inc. Buy this book from our store: The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook.
The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2013), by Wendy Polisi, provides more than 200 pages of gluten-free, quinoa-inspired, easy-to-follow recipes. Polisi includes nutritional information and photos for every recipe and alternative ingredients and preparation methods for many of the dishes. The following excerpt from the chapter “Wraps, Burgers, Tacos & Sandwiches” is a recipe for Mexican quinoa burgers.
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Gluten-Free Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook.