Photo by Christine Mullen
Enjoy a cup of rich Mexican Hot Chocolate after time spent playing in the snow.
- 3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1⁄2 cups cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients. In batches, pulse mixture in a food processor until smooth and well combined. Store in a sealed container in a dry, dark place.
- To make hot chocolate, put 1⁄3 cup mixture into a mug and mix with hot water or milk. Top with marshmallows and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Find more traditional holiday treats, décor and activities in Have an Old-Fashioned Holiday.
On her blog Munchin with Munchkin, Christine Mullen shares this recipe, which makes the perfect gift when packaged in Mason jars and accompanied with the very simple preparation instructions.