- 1⁄2 cup raw unsalted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 probiotic capsule or 1/4 teaspoon probiotic powder (available in health-food stores)
- 3 fresh medjool dates, pitted
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (don’t used iodized salt as it destroys beneficial bacteria)
- 1⁄2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- Combine macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup water and contents of the probiotic capsule (discard empty capsule). Stir until mixed. Cover and allow to sit overnight for 12 hours.
2. In a separate bowl, mix dates with remaining 3 tablespoons water and cover. Let sit while macadamia nuts culture overnight.
3. In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. You may need to push ingredients down with a spatula a few times to ensure a creamy, smooth consistency. Pour into a cheesecloth-lined dish or mold. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until set. Cheese will store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Makes 1 block.
Read More:The Benefits of Fermented Foods
Adapted with permission from Michelle Schoffro Cook’s upcoming book The Cultured Cook, culturedcook.com.
This delicious and creamy dairy-free cheese has a delicate and delightful macadamia nut flavor. Unlike dairy-based cream cheeses, this cheese is packed with health-promoting beneficial bacteria. It’s simple to make but does need about 12 hours for the nuts to culture and a couple of hours to set. Enjoy on toast or over Cardamom Pear Crepes.